Aviva Kamander, LCSW - Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Therapist, Coach
I have the privilege of working with people in a sacred way; honestly and directly dealing with experiences, thoughts, and emotions. Individuals are capable of immense change and growth. I use effective methods of treatment in a supportive, encouraging and accountable way. Reinventing oneself often leads to excitement and boundless creative energy. Making realistic dreams come true is where I come in.
My goal is that individuals who struggle with happiness will find regular contentment; a better way to get through life. From my diverse experiences I have learned that:
- How you think matters. Negative self talk can be detrimental and it can be changed.
- Self-compassion is the way to happiness.
- Life is hard, and at times unfair. Coping skills allow us to persevere and make the best out of life's difficult situations.
I lead workshops on Navigating the Gray Zone: Dating with Assertiveness and Compassion. The intention is to improve the quality of interpersonal connections and prevent regrettable unwanted sexual encounters. More information about this can be found by going to the Workshops tab.
Throughout my adult life I have searched for knowledge on how to identify personal fulfillment, improve health and wellness, build momentum for personal transformation, and acquire a sense of balance. My experience and training have led to a deep understanding about the process of change.
My approach is direct and action-oriented, with access to mindfulness.
- The Compassionate Mind Foundation
- ACBS - Association for Contextual Behavioral Science
- NYSSCSW - NY State Society for Clinical Social Work, Inc
- Compassion Focused Therapy: Foundations and Applications The Center for Compassion Focused Therapy
- Second Annual Compassionate Mind Summit and Retreat 2019 The Center for Compassion Focused Therapy
- CBT and the Effective Management of Mood and Anxiety Disorders NYC-CBT
- Spirituality, Neuroscience, and Narrative Surrounding Trauma MFT-NY
- Beyond the Basics:Advanced Motivational Interviewing Skills Columbia University School of Social Work
- Introduction to Compassion Focused Therapy CFT Palabra Counseling and Training Center
- First Annual Compassionate Mind Summit and Retreat 2018 The Center for Compassion Focused Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Adolescents JBFCS
- Attachment and Trauma: The Neurobiology of Healing ISC International
- End of Life Choices Columbia University School of Social Work
- The Therapeutic Use of Narrative Columbia University School of Social Work
- Essentials of Solution-Focused Brief Therapy JBFCS
- Understanding the Gut Brain: Stress, Appetite, Digestion, and Mood IBP
- Making Mindfulness Work Webinar Series NICABM(x2)
- How the Brain Forms New Habits: Why Willpower is not Enough IBP
- New Brain Science Tele-webinar NICABM (x2)
- Co-Active Coaching Model - self learning
- ACT - Acceptance Commitment Therapy JBFCS
- MI - Motivational Interviewing JBFCS
- STAIR - Skills Training in Affective and Interpersonal Regulation, Trauma JBFCS
- CBT - Cognitive Behavioral Therapy JBFCS
- Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy REBT/CBT – Advanced/Primary Practicum, The Albert Ellis Institute
- Master of Science - Columbia University School of Social Work
- Bachelor of Arts - Speech Communications SUNY College at Oneonta
- Business and Parenting Coach
- Mother of 2 children (middle and high school aged)
- Memory Training Counselor
- Adjunct Professor
- Telecom Project Manager
- Network Administrator
- Academic Adviser/Career Counselor
- Real Estate Agent
- Administrative Assistant
- and more